Friday, March 30, 2012

Quit Hoggin' all the Covers


One thing that sticks in my mind from childhood are the comics. And their covers are branded into my memory. Some of these I had, some of them I didn't. Some were issues I saw in stores. A lot were from my brother's collection that I wasn't aloud to touch. He had boxes of them (still does), all bagged and boarded, and the smell of the plastic bags and paper pages still hang heavy on my senses just like the Turkey did long after the Bumpus Hounds dragged it away.  



Todd McFarlane

Ron Frenz & Klaus Janson

Todd McFarlane

Spider-Man covers. Whether they are Amazing or not stuck so well in my brain. In fact I have written a short story about them.

Brian Bolland

Killing Joke. SMILE


Arthur "Art" Adams


Tod McFarlane & Bob Wiacek

One of the greatest covers of all time. So awesome.

Howard Chaykin

Cool cover for Indy although this isn't the one that really sticks in my mind. The one that I can't find an image of was of Indy getting attacked by skeletons rising from the dead. I specifically remember being really disappointed in the comic because the only skeletons inside rose on the very last page.


George Perez

The Gauntlet.

Jhonen Vasquez

We found a Johnny the Homicidal Maniac comic. Just lying on a ledge somewhere in the Valley. It introduced us into this world. The art was so good. The comedy so biting. I felt like I shouldn't be reading it.

Brian Bolland

OK, not a cover. Just the Killing Joke art was very remember-ie.


Lynn Varley

Lone Wolf and Cub. Creepy. And so mind sticking.

Dale Keown?

When Image started there were quite a lot of covers that spoke to me. They were everywhere.

Mike Zeck & John Beatty

Kevin Eastman

Oh the many covers of TMNT... The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were a huge part of my life. The comics, movies, tv-shows, action figures, role playing games, all of it. I would love to see a TMNT movie the calls back to the comics.

I don't know who did the bag art

Dan Jurgens & Brett Breeding

Superman's "death". I remember the day well. Check out this "somewhat-mostly-accurate educational parody" of the Death of Superman. Its pretty awesome.

Todd McFarlane
Spawn. I remember staying with my brother at his apartment when this came out. I had a Wizard that I would copy pictures out of. McFarlane really ignited my love of drawing. 

Howard Chaykin & Tom Palmer

These Star Wars comics really bring that loving plastic aroma to my mind.  My brother had them all.

Frank Miller & Joe Rubinstein

Wolverine 1 beckons.

updated - Will add credts... soon.









These are all just kinda off the top of my melon.

Of course there are always the classics like Action Comics #1 and Amazing Fantasy #15, Amazing Spider-Man #1, Detective Comics #27, Silver Surfer #4, Batman #1 and #194, Superman #1, #269 and a whole mess more. But this time I went with these which were a bit more of my generation of comics. And I think that once I start thinking a little bit this blog post may be ever-expanding.

Snikt!




No comments:

Post a Comment